Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Piano Cover & Tutorial: High, High, High

Well, this was a faster update than my usual several-month delay. In the spirit of embracing this newly-discovered having-a-musical-instrument thing, I must have spent at least twelve hours over the past couple of days on my piano. I'm sure my life will go back into balance at some point in the future, but until then, MUSIC OVERLOAD. And I'm loving every minute of it. :D

Anyway, in case you weren't able to tell from my entry a few posts ago, I really, really like the show Usagi Drop. Ever since the show ended a few weeks ago, it feels like I have this new, all-consuming void of cuteness in my life, which may only be satiated by playing Usagi Drop music. If my subliminal urging fails to capture your attention, here's a more straightfoward statement: you should really watch this show. Seriously, just look at that picture of Rin over there. SO MUCH CUTE. D'awwww. :)

In the aforementioned blog post, I arranged a version of the show's OP, "Sweet Drops," so this time I decided to tackle its ED, "High, High, High." If possible, the piano version of this song (original here) is even sweeter and more calming than "Sweet Drops," and I slightly prefer the original ED to the OP. I'd actually completed the sheet music and Synthesia tutorial a couple of weeks ago, but decided that I'd actually try playing my own music. Turns out that's easier said than done...let's just say that my piano skillz have deteriorated dramatically since my younger days. >.< Nonetheless, here's the recording, after many attempts:

High, High, High (Usagi Drop): Piano Cover



Composer: Kasarinchu
Date Completed: 2011-10-18
Software: Audacity, Finale 2008, Movie Maker, Synthesia, SynthFont
Number of Takes: ~20 X_x
Instrumentation: Piano

And below's the Synthesia tutorial. Apologies for the poor video quality; I'll see what I can do about that later. As with my last Synthesia tutorial, the left/right-hand designations are purely optional here; just do whatever feels comfortable (in fact, you'll see me using many an alternate fingering in my recording). Sheet music for this transcription is located here, or at the usual place in my Portfolio.



That's all for this time! As always, please leave comments or critique if you have any! Now stop reading this post and go watch Usagi Drop. :P

See you again soon!

xds

2 comments:

  1. Just wanted to express my gratitude for your effort. :)

    One word: Awesome!

    Like your rendition of the song. There are other versions in youtube but I prefer yours. Despite the fact that their rendition of the exposition was better, your version has better dynamics and articulation overall.

    Gonna play it tomorrow! XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much for the feedback! :D I hope you enjoy playing the piece!

      Delete