Thursday, December 23, 2010

Piano Cover: One

Welp, one more semester done. It's not been the best semester for me, all things considered, although it's certainly had its bright moments. Undoubtedly, one of the best parts of this past semester was my music theory class. My class had an absolutely wonderful, talented group of students (and TA :D) who were an inspirational force beyond measure. I sincerely loved each moment I was able to spend with them, and am undoubtedly a better musician thanks to their support, talent, and cheer. To any of my fellow 115-ers who might be reading this blog: thank you. I truly mean it. :)

Now, on a completely different note, here's my newest piano cover. I actually finished this piece over a month ago, but due to time constraints and laziness (mostly time constraints, actually), I've been unable to post a blog entry about it until now. For those of you who haven't heard it before, here's the original source material. As always, there's a bit of a story behind this piece. One of my friends had attended an Epik High concert and seemed pretty excited about it, so I decided to check out some of their work. As always, though, I ended up just getting attached to the first piece of theirs I found, which in this case happened to be One. (Granted, my freshman-year roommate had played Love Love Love all the time, but I hadn't realized that was Epik High at the time.)

Okay, that wasn't that exciting of a story. Here's the cover:

One: Piano Cover



Artist: Epik High
Date Completed: 2010-11-03
Number of Takes: 3
Software: Audacity, Movie Maker
Instrumentation: Piano

It was interesting to take a hip-hop tune and convert it into something passable for solo piano, since, well, hip-hop songs aren't usually the most melodic source materials. In the case of One, however, I'm glad to have been proven wrong. Granted, I was forced to take some liberties and come up with my own melody for one section, but the existing melodies from the original material, along with the VI-IV-I-V chord progression, were great. Excellent source material always makes the piano-covering more enjoyable. :)

That's it for now. As I probably won't have another entry before most of the winter holidays roll around, enjoy!

Happy holidays,

xds

No comments:

Post a Comment