Monday, February 14, 2011

Piano Cover: Always With Me

So I'm about a third of the way through my last semester of undergraduate college. It's been a whirlwind of a semester so far, what with sleeping outside in a tent for a month (yay for crazy-awesome Duke basketball traditions!), graduate school visits, classes, and just trying to squeeze out whatever time I have left with my friends. I haven't found quite as much time this semester to keep up with music, but I (hopefully!) should have a couple of surprises in store in the near future. Stay tuned!

If I really wanted to gush over how much I loved Hayao Miyazaki's Spirited Away, this post would take several pages. Instead, I'll simply offer a pithy "OMGWTF IT'S LIEK ONE OF THE BEST MOVIES I'VE EVER SEEN OMGGGGG" and leave it at that. The music in Spirited Away, like many of Joe Hisaishi's works, is fantastic -- the movie really wouldn't be the same without it. The combination of unique plots and fantastic music in Miyazaki's films has drawn me to his other works I've seen over the years, and now I can claim with little hesitation that I have become a Miyazaki fan. Though I still really need to see a few of his hit films, like Kiki's Delivery Service and My Neighbor Totoro...

Anyway, here's the ending theme from Spirited Away:

Always With Me: Piano Cover



Composer: Joe Hisaishi
Date Completed: 2011-02-14
Number of Takes: 5
Software: Audacity, Movie Maker
Instrumentation: Piano

I originally concepted this cover as a theme and variations. The harmonic structure of Hisaishi's piece is actually very common (you might recognize it as the "Pachelbel's Canon sequence") and happens to be one of my favorite sequences, so I'd hoped to expand it to a set of variations. Unfortunately, lack of time and composer's block made me tone down my expectations a little, but hopefully it's still an enjoyable listen.

Happy Valentine's Day!

Best,

xds

No comments:

Post a Comment